Maxfield Keck designed the bas-relief figures Commerce and Transportation flanking Cincinnati’s 1933 Union Terminal. This is Transportation.
This clipper ship is one of 13 transportation-themed medallions, designed by Maxfield Keck, that line the waiting room walls of Penn Station in Newark.
The Cliffside Hose No. 4 firehouse stood here from 1889 to 1903 or ’04. Then it was pulled east along Bellevue Avenue to Grove Street to become the clubhouse for the Upper Montclair Country Club. (Credit: Montclair Public Library)
This plaque commemorates the parkland’s donor, Charles W. Anderson, and was erected in 1928, the year he died. The architectural sculptor and Montclair resident Maxfield Keck designed it.
At about 150 years old, this white oak is the oldest tree in the park. It is called the Olmsted Oak because it appears in this 1904 photo taken by John Charles Olmsted. (Credit: Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site)
Anderson Park’s athletic field has hosted sports rarely, if ever, played there today. The Bellevue Cricket Club, shown in 1910, used it as a pitch in the early 20th century. Also at that time the park had several tennis courts. (Credit: Spalding Official Cricket Guide)
A 1903 plan featured a passage under the train tracks connecting the south end of the park to Valley Road, near the Northview Avenue intersection. This would have shortened the walk to the business district and the trolley for residents south of the park. (Credit: Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site)
With thousands of immigrants were settling in New Jersey, the Essex County Park Commission required a flag in every park to instill patriotism. As the county reported in 1912: “The poles were located as near the playground areas as possible in order that they might be a source of patriotic inspiration to the young people, who can look up at them while at their sports.” In Anderson Park, the flagpole was originally at the north end of the park, as seen in this 1928 postcard. (Credit: Brooklyn Postcard Company)
Six erratics (boulders from the Ice Age) dot Anderson Park. This one, deposited about 20,000 years ago, is composed of granite gneiss. (Credit: Scot Surbeck)
Three houses once stood in this area facing the street before the land became Anderson Park. During park construction, two were moved south and are now Nos. 293 and 295 North Mountain Avenue. The fate of the third is unknown. These photos show two of the houses, from the rear in 1902 and as they appear now a half-block down the street. (1902 Credit: Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site)
Installed in 2008, this plaque honors the Montclair High School lacrosse coaches Gil Gibbs and Homer Robinson. Considered pioneers of scholastic lacrosse in New Jersey, they created the first high school lacrosse dynasty in the state, capturing seven varsity state championships and eight junior varsity state championships from 1969 to 1978. This photo shows a game in 1980. (Credit: Anthony Arons)
John Charles Olmsted (seen here in 1907) was the primary landscape architect for Anderson Park, making his first visit to the proposed site in 1902. The park opened in 1905 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. (Credit: J.E. Purdy, via Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site)